Wednesday 11 July 2018

1.3 - Best Friends


  "Summer time is the best!" Sullivan exclaimed.
  "It's even better when you are the better astronaut," Iantha laughed.
  Playing Space Ships was her favourite. Sullivan wasn't quite as much of a fan as she was, but Iantha was his best friend, so he didn't mind playing what she wanted once in a while.


  "Hey, Iantha, we're best friends, right?"
  Iantha laughed. "Of course!"
  "My dad said that I should marry my best friend. So, will you marry me, Iantha, that way we'll stay best friends forever?"
  Iantha thought for a moment. "I think we're too young to get married. We aren't grown ups yet."
  Sullivan frowned for a moment before a smile overtook his face again. "That's okay. I can ask again when you think we're old enough."


  The two friends quickly went back to playing.
  "I can swing higher than you can!" Iantha shouted.
  "Cannot!" came the reply.


  "Can I tell you a secret?" Iantha asked.
  "I promise I won't tell."
  "I won a scholarship to Dribbledine Sports Academy. I leave at the end of the summer. It's for the rest of elementary school, and for high school."
  Sullivan took a moment before he replied. He was happy for his best friend, he knew that more than anyone she deserved to go. But that meant she was leaving him behind. "That's really cool."
  Iantha sighed. "You aren't happy."
  "No, I am. I'm just sad that we won't be able to make trouble in Mrs. Anderson's class together."
  "Make plenty extra for me."


  "Iantha?"
  "Yeah?"
  "I'll always be your best friend. No matter where you are."

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Childhood friends being separated is one of the hardest things a kid can go through, I think. Especially if they're close. Hard to have peers to really relate to at times.

    ReplyDelete